This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to develop increasing care for self, others, and the environment.
- Shoe box lid or tray with an edge
- Measuring cup or small shovel
- Sand and small rocks
- Plastic fork
- Small dish for water (optional)
Participants: This activity is intended for adult/child interaction, and independent play.
(See photo examples in PDF)
- Take a walk with your child and collect rocks or stones.
- Place shoe box lid (or tray) outside or cover your work area.
- Have your child use the measuring cup or small shovel to scoop sand into the lid.
- Use the fork to “rake” the sand creating a smooth surface.
- Have your child arrange the rocks or stones they have collected in the sand. Add small optional dish with water.
- Children can rake designs and rearrange their zen garden anytime, especially, when needing to calm and focus.
- Use sea shells instead of rocks or stones.
- Use colored sand if available to change or mix colors in garden.
- Create a variety of sizes of zen gardens, including a large outdoor one.
We think you'll also enjoy these...
GET WORLD AT HOME
We're adding new activities each week - get notified when we do!