This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to:
- Explore the different densities of water and oil
- Make predictions, observations, and record results
- Two transparent bowls or cups
- Cooking oil (e.g., vegetable or canola)
- Mixing utensil
- Natural food coloring
- Fill one bowl or cup of water.
- Measure two tablespoons of oil and pour it into the second empty bowl or cup.
- Use natural food coloring and squeeze as many drops and colors as you prefer into bowl or cup with oil.
- Using a mixing utensil, mix oil and food coloring until particles are separated, but not completely mixed.
- Pour oil and food coloring solution into bowl or cup of water.
- Make a hypothesis.
- Observe and record results.
We think you'll also enjoy these...
GET WORLD AT HOME
We're adding new activities each week - get notified when we do!