The visual arts offer opportunities for children to express themselves and develop creativity. In this activity, children create art to share with friends and neighbors, building their empathy and confidence in the process.
- Cardstock or sturdy art paper
- Watercolors, tempera paints, markers, or other art mediums
This activity is intended for adult/child interaction or independent play.
- Talk with your child briefly about the benefits of art and how looking at beautiful art can make people happy. Discuss the idea of putting on a sidewalk art show for the neighborhood featuring beautiful, inspiring art made by your family.
- Encourage your child to make paintings of a variety of inspiring subjects, such as flowers, landscapes, self-portraits, etc.
- Secure the rope between two trees, porch railings, or similar where they are clearly visible to neighbors. Secure the dried paintings to the rope with clothespins. Depending on your situation, you could invite others to add their paintings or plan a “walk-by art show” at a specific time. Help your child make and send printed or e-invitations.
We think you'll also enjoy these...
GET WORLD AT HOME
We're adding new activities each week - get notified when we do!