This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to develop increasing care for self, others, and the environment.
- Inexpensive drawing pad or journal (or loose paper)
- Pencils, colored pencils, or pens
- Field guide or app
Participants: This activity is intended for independent play and adult/child interaction.
- Find a place to observe something in nature, such as a bird, a flower, or a twig. Study the object closely, noticing its shape and the individual pieces that make up the larger whole.
- Draw the object and make notes about it, such as the shape of the leaves or where you found it. Write the object’s name if you know it.
- Try this exercise once a week with your child. It’s not only a nice relaxation activity, but it’s a good way to foster a deeper awareness and appreciation for the planet.
Learn More: Join Nature’s Notebook and use your observations to help scientists.
We think you'll also enjoy these...
GET WORLD AT HOME
We're adding new activities each week - get notified when we do!