This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to:
- Observe the chemical reaction of citrus acid and baking soda
- Make a hypothesis, test, and run an experiment
- One lemon
- Baking soda
- Food coloring
- Tray or bowl
- Knife (with adult supervision)
- Use a knife to cut off edges of the lemon and then cut lemon in half
- Place lemon halves in your bowl or tray
- Poke the lemon with a knife and then cutout the inside, leaving it in the rind
- Drop food coloring onto top of lemon
- Pour baking soda on top of the lemon
- Observe what happens next!
Extension: Try using other citrus fruits
We think you'll also enjoy these...
GET WORLD AT HOME
We're adding new activities each week - get notified when we do!