This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to:
- Learn and explore the characteristics of density.
- Learn and explore the characteristics of chemical reactions and polarity.
- Container e.g., water bottle or 2-liter plastic bottle
- Vegetable oil
- Food coloring
- Antacid tablets (adult supervision required with use)
- Fill the container most of the way with vegetable oil.
- Fill the rest of the container with water.
- Add a few drops of food coloring; your choice of color.
- Break an antacid tablet into a few small pieces, and drop them in the container one at a time.
- Watch your lava lamp erupt! As the reaction slows down, add more antacid.
We think you'll also enjoy these...
GET WORLD AT HOME
We're adding new activities each week - get notified when we do!