This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to understand and interact with books and texts. Reading and taking on roles or actions in books helps children understand character and plot and can develop a love of books and stories.
- “Gus’s Garage” by Leo Timmers (Watch the video from a Bright Horizons educator below)
- Child’s bike, tricycle, wagon, or other vehicles
- Dish soap and cloths
- Paper or poster board
Participants: This activity is intended for adult/child interaction.
- Read “Gus’s Garage” or watch the video with your child. Ask your child, “What are bits and bobs? What would you use for bits and bobs?”
- Encourage your child to ride their bike or vehicle. Maybe they’d like to add some elements from the story such as scarves or set up a pretend garage and “fix” their vehicles.
- Offer paper and writing implements for signs, invoices, etc.
- Fill the bucket with soapy water and challenge your child to create a “car wash,” washing their vehicles.
We think you'll also enjoy these...
GET WORLD AT HOME
We're adding new activities each week - get notified when we do!