Let's Read Together
Blueberries for Sal
Ideal for Preschool/Pre-K
This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to understand and use a growing vocabulary.
- “Blueberries for Sal” children’s book by Robert McCloskey (or search for an online version if you don’t have the book on hand)
Participants: This activity is intended for parent/child interaction.
- Read or listen to the story.
- Point out new or interesting vocabulary words such as kerplunk or tremendous.
- Depending on your child’s interest and understanding, discuss the following ideas together:
- How would you feel if you were Sal and discovered you were following a bear instead of your mother?
- How do you think Little Bear felt?
- What happened first in the story? What happened next? What happened last?
Learn More: Try extending this activity. Read it more than once over several days. Gather simple props, such as a stuffed bear, a pail, or a bowl. Encourage your child to act out the story, draw pictures, or make a book. Make blueberry muffins or pancakes. You can also choose any favorite book and use the guiding.
We think you'll also enjoy these...
GET WORLD AT HOME
We're adding new activities each week - get notified when we do!