This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to investigate numbers and balance. Children can practice counting objects while learning the concepts of some, more,and too many.
- Clothes hanger
- Two strong paper or plastic cups
- Yarn, twine, or sturdy string
- Small objects of varying weights, e.g. crayons, toy cars, small blocks, etc.
Participants: This activity is intended for adult/child interaction.
- Create holes on either side of the paper cups. Attach two equal lengths of yarn onto the cups to create little buckets.
- Hang one on each side of the hanger and place the hanger on a cabinet knob, door knob, or hook that is low enough for your child to reach.
- Ask your child to place objects in one cup.
- Now add different objects to the other cup. Ask: which cup is heavier? How many crayons do you need to add to make it balance one block? How many is too many?
We think you'll also enjoy these...
GET WORLD AT HOME
We're adding new activities each week - get notified when we do!